2018 Hurricane Predictions

2018’s hurricane season is expected to be an above-average season similar to 2017.  Last year we saw 17 named storms, with three major hurricanes landing in the United States.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) predict a 70 percent chance of 10 to 16 named storms with winds of 39 mph or higher. Of those, between 5 and 9 could become hurricanes, with winds of 74 mph or higher; and 1 to 4 are predicted to be major hurricanes of Category 3, 4, or 5 with winds of 111 mph or higher.

This prediction includes a 35% chance of an above-normal season, a 40% chance of a near-normal season, and a 25% chance of a below-normal season. An average hurricane season consists of 12 named storms, of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes.

Two of the factors driving this outlook include the possibility of a weak El Niño developing and near-average sea surface temperatures across the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea.

Are you ready for the 2018 Hurricane Season?